Popular Interior Design Trends for 2019
Tips For Choosing the Perfect Area Rug Size For Your Home
Adding color, texture, style, and comfort to any room, area rugs are essential to creating a space that looks thought out and well decorated. While there are no official rules on rug sizing, there are a few tried and true tips for finding the perfect fit. Read on, and when it comes time to purchase, you’ll feel confident that the area rug you choose will look exactly how you want it to in your home.
● Leave a Border — In any space, an area rug should not touch the walls. Leave a minimum of 8 inches of bare floor between the edge of the rug and the walls, and an even greater border if the room is large.
● Bigger is Better — A bigger rug can make all the difference between pulling a room together or segmenting the space. When deciding between two sizes, opt for the larger choice to create visual flow and make the room appear larger.
● Material — Consider the amount of foot traffic when choosing a rug material. For high-traffic areas, choose a stain resistant rug like microfiber polyester or wool that is easy to clean and stands up to general wear.
● Visualize — Use painter’s tape to mock the placement of an area rug before you purchase. This way, you can get a better visual from all vantage points of what it will look like in your space.
● Living Room — Measure the size of your seating area in the living room and choose a rug that is one size up from that measurement, such as a 9’x12’ or 8x10’ rug, to make a cohesive statement with all the furniture positioned atop the rug. If you’re on a tighter budget, smaller area rugs, like 5’x7’ or 4’x6’ options, can still make an impact. Rest the legs of the furniture half on the rug to create a stylish illusion
, or have the area rug float in front of your larger furniture pieces while a coffee table in the center anchors the look.
● Bedroom — There are various configurations for area rugs in the bedroom. When looking for the cheapest option or wanting to show off your floors, dual runners flanking the bed can provide a soft landing underfoot and chic style. For a bolder statement, popular choices include placing the rug fully under the bed, like with an 8’x10’ rug, or partially under the bed calling for a 5’x7’ rug most commonly.
● Dining Room — Shopping for a dining room rug might seem tricky. However, it’s very simple. The rule of thumb is to have at least 24 inches beyond the edge of the table, allowing the chairs to stay on the rug when pulled out and avoid the legs catching on the edge of the rug.
● Hallways and Entryways — In these spaces, rug shape and orientation rule the roost to create a welcoming ambiance. Runners are a great choice for hallways and narrow entries as they draw the eye forward, while round rugs make a statement in square foyers.
Find an area rug that suits your space with the extensive selection available at LexMod.